How do I take a course?
To take a course, select a topic from the EV3 Tablet home page. They are grouped into three categories:
- Getting Started introduces the LEGO MINDSTORMS Core Set hardware and software.
- Programming goes in-depth into understanding the software and creating your own programs to run experiments and capture data.
- In the Classroom provides inspiration on how you can use EV3 throughout the school, and takes you through the teacher support materials.
Is there a recommended way to take the courses?
- Everyone has his or her preferred learning method. However, if you are new to eLearning, we recommend that you set aside some quiet time when you know there will be fewer interruptions.
- Work in short bursts, say 60-90 minutes, rather than trying to cover too much ground at once. You’ll find this more productive and easier to fit around your busy schedule.
- Like any studying, try to find a time and a place where you’re most productive, perhaps early in the morning with your first coffee or at the end of the day when your chores are done.
- As well as watching the videos, we have provided a number of follow-up activities after certain lessons. We highly recommend completing the entire lesson and activities before moving on to the next. Of course, you can go in any order and come back to the activities if you prefer it that way.
Is there a recommended order to take the courses?
- Everyone has his or her learning style and you have total freedom in this program. However, if you are completely new to EV3, we recommend you start by taking the Getting Started courses, and then move on to Programming. Once you have grasped these concepts, move on to the In the Classroom section to learn about lesson plans and ideas for using EV3 across the curriculum.
How long can I spend taking a course?
- Spend as long as you like. Pause and go back if you want to repeat something. Generally we recommend working along with us and trying things out yourself.
How can I track my progress in a course?
- Course progress is indicated by check marks in the lesson list and at the bottom of each course page. When you complete a lesson and click the Mark Complete button, the check mark turns green.
- Completed lessons are identified by a green check mark in the lesson list on the course page.
- The progress bar gives you a quick visual reference from any lesson page.
What is the Mark Complete button and when should I use it?
- When you complete a lesson, click the Mark Complete button on the lesson page. Hurray!
How can I watch the videos in Full HD?
- To watch a video in Full HD, click the HD icon on the right of the play bar.
How can I watch videos in full-screen mode?
- To watch a video in full-screen mode, click the Enter full-screen icon on the very right of the play bar, next to the HD icon.
- When viewing in full-screen mode, we recommend Full HD.
Why is video playback so choppy?
If your video playback isn’t smooth, here are some things you can try:
- Let the video buffer before you view it.
- Close other browser tabs and windows. This can make a huge difference!
- Make sure you have either the latest version of Flash running on your computer, or use a browser with native HTML5 support.
- Switch to another browser to see if that helps.
Do I need a fast Internet connection for HD videos?
- Most residential cable and DSL connections should be more than adequate. If HD is slow to load, try turning off any background applications that could be using up bandwidth. Or push the play button in the player and then pause to let the video buffer before viewing.
What is video buffering?
- Buffering is a way of preloading the videos you watch so that fluctuations in your Internet connection don’t cause choppy playback.
- When you play a video, a light gray bar will advance in front of the playhead, showing you how much of your video has been buffered. Your playback should be smooth as long as you’re viewing your video within the light gray buffer region.
- If you’re experiencing choppy playback, pause the video, allow the video to buffer for a few moments, then try playing your video again!
Can I watch a video in its native resolution when it’s in full-screen mode?
- When your video is in full screen, click the icon in the play bar that looks like two little screens. This will toggle scaling on and off.
- When scaling is on, your video will be scaled to fit the screen. With scaling off, you will see the actual size of the video without any enlargement.
Testing your knowledge
How can I check how I’m doing with my learning?
- When you have taken all the lessons in a course and completed the activities, we recommend you take the small quiz. It is designed to reinforce your knowledge and identify any gaps.
How do I take the quiz?
- Each course has a small quiz. To start the quiz, click the Test your knowledge link from any lesson page or course page.
What happens if I get a question wrong?
- If you get a question wrong, no stress, it’s all part of the learning process! You will be pointed to the lesson in the course where you can find the right answer. Just click the link provided to take you to that lesson, or alternatively carry on to the next question. How you learn is entirely up to you.
Can I retake the quiz?
- Yes. In fact you can take it as many times as you like! Our objective is helping you learn and be successful with EV3 in the classroom.
What is the Certificate quiz and how can I take it?
- The Certificate quiz is a selection of questions from each of the course quizzes. It is meant as a refresher when you have completed the entire EV3 eLearning program. To take the quiz, click here or go to the EV3 Tablet home page and navigate to Certification.
What are the benefits of taking the Certificate quiz?
- Bragging rights. Print out the certificate and show it off! If you found the program useful, of course we’d love it if you told your colleagues all about it.
What browser can I use with the LEGO Education eLearning site?
We support Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer (version 9 and above). Whichever browser you prefer, please use the most up-to-date version available to ensure that everything on the site works smoothly!